Over the course of the fiscal year a single room may have been used by more than one department and or for more than one purpose (as defined by a Room Type Code). For major room usage changes affecting the Room Type Code iSpace allows multiple Time Period Allocations during the year. When the Room Type changes, a new Time Period Allocation must be created and the current allocation closed. To simplify complex coding involving multiple departments, the process of "Room Sharing" has been incorporated into iSpace.
1. Time Period Allocations
When the Room Type changes, a new Time Period Allocation must be created and the current allocation closed.
Example: Multiple Room Type Codes during the year
Room 100 was used as follows during the fiscal year.
- Fall Quarter - the room was used as an office for Post Doctoral student.
- Winter and Spring Quarters - the room was under renovation and temporarily unassignable.
- Summer Quarter - the room was used as a non-class lab where 10% of the activity was related to Departmental Research and 90% of the activity was related to Organized Research.
In order to record the multiple Room Type Codes that occurred during the year, Room 100 would be split into Time Period Allocations in iSPACE as follows.
- Sept 1 to Jan 10: Room Type Code 366 (Office - Post Doctoral), 100% DA [A(100)].
- Jan 11 to June 15: Room Type Code 082 (Under Alteration), 100% Temporarily Unassigned [X(100)].
- June 16 to Present: Room Type Code 251 (Non-class Lab), 10% DR and 90% OR [L(10), R(90)].
2. Room Sharing
Room Sharing involves reporting one physical room with multiple Department Codes or Primary Individuals (PI's) associated with the room during the fiscal year. The new system, iSpace allows for multiple departments with multiple PI's in any given Time Period Allocation. In addition, each PI may have multiple Function Codes. In all cases these multiple occupants/uses will be allocated their appropriate percentage of occupancy. All percentages must add to 100%.
Example: Two or more departments share space
Department A and Department B "shared" Room 302 which is 100 square feet. Each department used 50% of the room. Functionally, Department A used the room solely for Organized Research (R) and Department B used the room solely for Instruction (I). The room would be entered in iSpace with two departments:
- 50% Department A, 100% OR [R(100)]
- 50% Department B, 100% Instruction [I(100)].
3. Global Changes
Help is available when you have a large number of rooms that need to be changed as a result of a large change in a building or for a department. This could result from a move to a new building, a whole floor renovation, or a change in the department’s org code.
The iSpace system administrator in Maps and Records in many cases can make changes to a large block of rooms in order to mitigate the burden of changing the rooms one by one by the space coordinator. There are several methods by which this is accomplished depending on the situation: these include SQL program changes or uploading data on new rooms from a user provided Excel spreadsheet.
You should contact the space analyst in CMA and discuss the following information so that we can evaluate if a global change can be done:
- user department
- building(s) identification
- room numbers affected
- description of the space and what you need to change
- time period related to the space change
Based on this discussion, if a global change appears feasible, a request will be submitted to the iSpace system administrator to proceed.