Inclusion, Diversity, Equity & Access in a Learning Environment (IDEAL) at the Office of the Vice Provost and Dean of Research
IDEAL at VPDoR
Who We Are
Our VPDoR Diversity Journey
- We create a hub of innovation through the power of diversity of disciplines and people.
- We provide equitable access and opportunity to all members of the community in order to do their best work, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- We listen to and value all colleagues who bring diverse perspectives to the advancement and development of a respectful community.
- We promote a culture of belonging, equity, and safety.
- We embed these values in excellence of education, research, and operation.
Staff of Color Affinity (SOCA)
SOCA Committee Charge
This committee consists of twenty members within the Vice Provost and Dean of Research. This committee represents the VPDoR on matters of diversity, belonging, and inclusion. It will work to provide guidance and feedback surrounding retention, talent, support and community building, and, at its discretion, makes recommendations for improvement in specific practices and general policy. It further serves as a liaison between individuals having concerns related to diversity, equity, and inclusion at the VPDoR and its units, providing, at its discretion, advice and guidance when requested.
This committee also represents the VPDoR on all matters concerned with staff diversity, equity, and inclusion, including efforts to increase the number of recruits from underrepresented groups who enter the workforce and professional programs. In this regard, the committee will promote efforts to support these staff members in the success of their growth and development while at the VPDoR by way of mentorship opportunities and other efforts. The committee may initiate evaluations of the effects of administration and policies and practices on staff diversity, equity, and inclusion.
If you are a staff member in VPDoR and are interested in joining our DEI committee, please fill out our Membership Form.
Listening + Learn sessions
Objective: Create a safer space for people of color to say what they want and believe and for others to listen to their experience and perspective, while learning about crucial DEI topics.
Inclusive Community Connection
Objective: Foster a community where equity and inclusion is a respected core value.
DEI Development Opportunities
Objective: Make more efforts to bring DEI developmental trainings, workshops, and speakers to VPDoR staff
Communications & Marketing Specialist
Caprie Davenport (SOCA Chair)
Human Resources Associate
Jennifer Wong (Co-Chair)
Sr. Product Manager, IT Strategy & Services
Educational Researcher and Instructor
Assistant Director, Development
Cyber Policy Center
Manager, Strategic Initiatives, Communications
Senior Associate Dean
Finance & Administration
Vice Provost and Dean of Research